Alexis Grant explores the intersection of content and business. In 2010 she founded the content marketing agency Socialexis. In 2015, the business was acquired by Taylor Media, the brand behind The Penny Hoarder, and she became the EVP of content. She draws from her years of experience to write compelling articles for those looking to take their content marketing business to the next level. Currently, her blog focuses on the business of content, scaling a company and the difficulties of being a working mom.
The Write Life
While plenty of blogs and publications focus on one particular aspect of the writer’s journey — freelancing, trying to get published, or marketing your work — The Write Life is a one-stop shop, covering everything from fiction to productivity to promotion.
Want to learn more about what went into creating The Write Life?
Check out the newsletters covering the launch process:
- How to convince big names to help launch your project
- How long it took to create The Write Life
- How The Write Life will make money
- How a stranger’s kindness helped launch The Write Life
Or read TWL Managing Editor Alexis Grant’s posts for a behind-the-scenes look at The Write Life’s development:
- A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Launching a Big Website
- Our SEO Strategy for Pushing The Write Life to the Top of Google
- Progress Report: How The Write Life is Faring After 4 Months
- What We’re Launching Next at The Write Life, Plus 8-Month Progress Report
- My Biggest Launch Ever is Live Today! A Fabulous Product for Writers
- How We Earned $34,000 in 3 Days from a 9-Month-Old Website
- How We’re Monetizing The Write Life: An Income Report (October 2014)
- The Write Life’s 2019 Audit: How We’re Growing and Monetizing a Website for Writers
Retreat & Create
Alexis had planned to run her first work + Nature retreat for women in May, 2020. This was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Penny Hoarder:
In 2016, they were named the #1 fastest-growing private media company by Inc. 500.
She has written useful posts about her experience:
- Hiring at a Startup: How We Managed to Go From 3 Employees to 55 in Just 18 Months
- Big News: My Content Marketing Company Has Been Acquired
- This personal finance blog bootstrapped its way to $20 million in revenue
- ThePennyHoarder.com No Longer Has a Comment Section. Here’s Why
She was the managing editor at Brazen Careerist. She wrote 5 Tips to Convince Editors to Say “Yes” to Your Guest Posts for Problogger. She also retweeted this problogger post: 5 Fatal Mistakes Your Paid Content Marketers *Are* Making (and How Much it’s Costing You)
Her Travel Book
Alexis wrote a memoir about ‘a journalist who backpacks solo through Africa.’ It was tentatively titled ‘Please Send Pants.’
Check out: What I learned from the query process
She and her agent parted ways after they failed to find a publisher. Read: When You Have to Admit You’ve Failed. She is looking at exploring self publishing, but has paused work on the project so she can focus on other opportunities.
Past Blog/Career Iterations
Previously, she branded herself as ‘The Travelling Writer.’ She changed her focus to ‘making your own luck in work and life’ in mid 2013. You can learn about her redesign here.
She had created a number of guides and courses. They have since been taken off the market.
In February, 2014, she released You Deserve to Love Your Job: 20 Big Ideas for Succeeding in the New World of Work as her first kindle product.
You can read the behind the scenes details at We’ve Got to Change How We Think About Jobs — That’s Why I Wrote This Book.
She initially launched the product for 99 cents. She said that Is $.99 the New Free? The Truth About Launching and Pricing Your Kindle Books was “One of the most helpful resources we used to launch my first Kindle book”
Combining Work And Parenting
What It’s Really Like Being a Working Mom Becoming a (working) mom has been the most joyful transition of her life — and the most challenging.
I Used to Love Productivity Advice. Then I Had Kids. Alexis shares productivity advice for ambitious, career-loving parents of young children
Here’s How I’ve (Barely) Juggled Work and Kids This Year Tips that helped Alexis stay sane in 2018 while balancing a young family, a demanding job, and her own life.
- Tale of Two Ebooks A really interesting post for Problogger about what she’d learnt from releasing two ebooks.
- 6 Tips for Managing Multi-Author Blogs Without Losing Your Mind
- Why an Entrepreneur’s First “Small” Exit Can Be So Meaningful
Moving To West Virgina.
Change Can Be Scary… And So Worth It The story of how Alexis and her husband left their jobs and moved to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. She shared her decision making process at How We Decided Where to Live, and Chose An Unexpected Place.
The change meant her time was spent differently compared to when she was working at The Penny Hoarder. She wrote about these changes at New Home, New Work, New Life. How I’m Spending My Time
Marrying Ben Collins
In 2011, Alexis posted this tweet:
Twitter: I would like a smart, outdoorsy guy around 30yo, based near DC. Bonus points for stubble. Go.
— Alexis Grant (@alexisgrant) November 10, 2011
In 2015, they welcomed their first son.